1 cup organic all-purpose (unbleached and unbromated) flour
1 cup organic whole-wheat (stone-ground) flour
1 teaspoon (aluminum-free) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup packed organic dark brown (fair-trade certified) sugar
3 tablespoons unsulphured blackstrap organic (fair-trade certified) molasses
1/4 cup expeller-pressed safflower oil
2 large local free-pastured eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, molasses, oil and 1 egg until combined.
- Add the other egg and whisk well.
- Whisk in the pumpkin, apples and vanilla.
- Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds.
- Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.
- Eat the yummy muffins!!