Wednesday, May 30, 2007

From the Abundance of the Heart

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward" (Kurt Vonnegut).

Stress wins over even the most productive, most successful, most innovative individuals. How do we respond with grace, patience, poise and eloquence when we are completely won over with worry, doubt and a list that tabulates in our sleep? We need an out: a release of emotion through sadness or happiness, tears or laughter. An overwhelming response to the trials we endure during our day that must be overcome.

My brother recently looked at my calendar and his eyes opened a little wider before looking at me to clarify that it was only my life covered on that calendar. I confirmed this was the case and he just was overwhelmed that I could be doing so much with the same amount of time that he is given. 168 hours a week. I get the same block of time during the week as my girlfriend's hamster, Jeffrey, who gets the same as a newly engaged woman preparing for her wedding and the Chief Executive Officer who is preparing for a corporate merger or acquisition. It's all the same. You either decide to not let stress affect you or you decide to deal with it.

My decision? Add more colors to my calendar and laugh more.

No comments: